FOM: Intuitionism

wiman lucas raymond lrwiman at ilstu.edu
Fri May 17 02:45:43 EDT 2002

Hi,

When I joined this list, I assumed there would be ongoing intuitionism
vs. non-intuitionism debates.  I haven't seen any.  I'm guessing that
most of the intuitionists quit the list in disgust (from the large
number of realists) or something.

Anyway, my question is this:  would an intuitionist accept the statment
"either p is provable, not-p is provable, or neither is provable"? I
think  the answer is probably "no," but I'm not entirely sure.  To me,
not being an intuitionist, it seems pretty plain that at least one of
these must be true, but I don't think there is any guarantee of there
being a proof--the standard for intuitionists.

-Lucas Wiman