FOM: Delta one comprehension and constructivism

Peter Smith peter.smith at phil.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 8 09:48:35 EDT 2002

I better preface this with the admission that I really am a beginner
in this area. But here goes:

In Friedman/Simpson/Smith (Ann. Pure Applied Logic 25, 1983) the
authors discuss why RCA_0 isn't going to be bought by the
constructivist. For a start, it has a classical logic. But they also
write:

"Yet another point of difference is that RCA_0 includes the Delta_0_1
comprehension axiom. This axiom resembles a special case of Markov's
principle and is therefore probably not acceptable to all
constructivists."

I'm being dim and missing the resemblance. Why would a constructivist
balk at countenancing recursive sets? [Put it this way: a
constructivist mightn't like this or that base first-order theory.
But if a base theory passes muster, can adding a commitment to just
the recursive sets take us to a constructively unacceptable
theory???.]

Any explanation gratefully received!

Peter Smith
--