FOM: actual infinite

Vladimir Sazonov V.Sazonov at csc.liv.ac.uk
Thu May 2 15:08:36 EDT 2002

Thomas Forster wrote:

> It has always seemed to me that one ought to be able to give
> a satisfactory answer to the old puzzle about how finite beings
> can apprehend actual infinities by use of IT ideas like lazy
> evaluation.

I do not know which relation lazy evaluation has to this puzzle.
But I do not see any puzzle at all. Whichever (sufficiently coherent)
fantasy we have, mathematics allows to approach it by choosing
an appropriate formalism, say ZFC. We are finite beings, our
fantasies (even about infinity - whatever it is) are finite and
formalisms are also finitary. What is the problem? Finitary formalisms
imitate our finite fantasies about anything. This "anything" should
not exist at all, except in our fantasies. Of course, our fantasies may
have some relation to reality, may be indirect. But again, we can
approach (approximate) any kind of reality with the help of mathematical
formalisms. What is the problem? How formal thinking is related with
informal?

There is some additional explication of this done by Mycielsky
(in JSL somewhere in 80th). I already recalled this some time ago.
He showed that ANY first-order theory T (PA or ZFC, etc.) has
corresponding "isomorphic" (in a natural sense essentially the
same as T) first order theory T' such that any finite number of
axioms of T' has a FINITE model.

Thus, if a theorem on some infinite cardinals is provable in
ZFC then in ZFC' essentially the same proof uses, of course,
a finite number of axioms and all we need in this concrete proof
about infinite cardinals may be interpreted in a finite model.

However, this finite model may be nonfeasibly huge and the question
of grasping a huge finite by feasibly finite human beings may
be repeated. In a sense, this is not better than infinity. Thus,
this way or other we come to the problem of feasibility in
mathematics or to the problem of building a feasible version of
mathematics or mathematics of feasible objects (numbers, etc.).
How it can be done is a normal research question.
It is not easy, but not an unresolvable puzzle.

What is the problem - how to reduce, say, ZFC to a theory of feasible
objects. As I remember, Essenin-Volpin suggested some solution.
But I was never able to understand this as a rigorous mathematical
enterprise. (However, I like some of his papers on feasibility -
those written in Russian long time ago. They provoke the thought.)
To resolve this problem, if possible at all, the concept of feasibility
should be first investigated mathematically/rigorously/formally
as deep as possible.

I'm sure I can't be the only person who has tho'rt

Vladimir Sazonov                        V.Sazonov at csc.liv.ac.uk
Department of Computer Science          tel: (+44) 0151 794-6792
University of Liverpool                 fax: (+44) 0151 794 3715
Liverpool L69 7ZF, U.K.       http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~sazonov