FOM: Re: Copernicus and Newton -- empty space

Mark Steiner marksa at vms.huji.ac.il
Fri Mar 1 07:26:14 EST 2002

I apologize for my earlier posting which was sent by mistake in draft form.
Though I don't have time now to check the reference, Newton explicitly
disqualifies plane orbital motion where the force vectors converge on empty
space.  "Luckily," the Keplerian laws have the sun right there at the focus of
the ellipse, upon which the Newtonian force vectors, required by those laws,
converge.  He also shows, using one of the first theorems of Principia, namely
that in circular motion the force vector is as v^2/R, that the Ptolemaic
hypothesis implies that the earth exerts a force that increases with the
distance, an impossibility.  Incidentally, I don't want to get into the
"intuition vs. rigor" controversy, but one could plausibly argue that what is
called "physical intuition" as well as rigor is at work here, since the
principles involving the nature of force are never really set down as axioms by
Newton.

By thinking dynamically, Newton thus demolished in one sentence what took
Galileo three books and house arrest to do.  As my colleague in Tel-Aviv Rivka
Feldhai has recently shown, the Catholic Church, after trying Galileo for
Copernicanism, undermined their own position by funding research in dynamical
theory which brought an end to all geocentric theories.