FOM: RE: RE: Proper Names and the Diagonal Proof

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Wed Jun 26 16:56:43 EDT 2002

This resonates with me (it is an interpretation of the consequences of the
formal theory, of course), because it provides a really powerful analogy for
me.

They way it has looked to me has been from the lower half (not thinking
about what it would be like in the next level above).  That is, putting
myself in the place of the computerist, I notice that I am always operating
below N and that no matter what I do, I can't reach it.  Furthermore, I must
be careful and be content with operating only where I do not depend on
transcending the finite.  Anytime where I undertake anything that is
tantamount to brining N into my grasp, my theory is busted or my computer
doesn't stop.  I have no access to N as an graspable aggregate (and PA
doesn't give me any, of course).

I have wanted to motivate that in my work and also demonstrate how much
power we get *anyhow*, but not *that* *much*!

So I love it.  I just love it, as I said.  Thank you.

OH, and I see that this did go to the list (I missed the CC: before), so
forget my off-list request.  Thanks.

-- orcmid

Dennis E. Hamilton
http://orcmid.com/