FOM: Number theory and elementary arithmetic

Jeremy Avigad avigad at cmu.edu
Fri Jun 7 14:22:33 EDT 2002

A few weeks ago Harvey Friedman brought to my attention a posting by Matt
Frank (reproduced below) and prompted me to finish revising a draft of a
paper that is relevant to the posting. I have done so; it is called
"Number theory and elementary arithmetic," and it is posted on my web
page, http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~avigad, under "surveys".

In this paper, I discuss Friedman's conjecture that FLT is derivable in
elementary arithmetic. Of course, there is little clear sense that one can
ascribe to notions like the "likelihood" that such a conjecture is true;
instead, I focus on explaining what can be done in elementary arithmetic
and conservative extensions, and how.

The short story is that Matt is absolutely right: one can carry out a
surprising amount of analysis in restricted fragments of arithmetic, but
we are a long way from having a sense as to whether one can
handle the kind of machinery that went into the proof of FLT.

In the paper I also try to clarify some general issues related to
Friedman's conjecture. One issue (that has, I think, befuddled past FOM
exchanges) has to do with varying senses of the word "need".

One sense of the word "need" is nicely captured by formal notions of
derivability. For example, if FLT is derivable in elementary arithmetic,
one might say that this shows that the proof of Fermat's last theorem does
not "need" infinitary notions.

But there is also vaguer (albeit no less interesting) sense of the word
"need". One might argue that even if FLT is derivable in elementary
arithmetic, such an elementary proof may really encode analytic or
infinitary notions, which are in fact "needed" to make the proof
understandable. It seems to me that neither formal logic nor the
philosophy of mathematics currently has a clear methodology for making
sense of this latter notion of necessity, or even the claim that analytic
or infinitary methods can be *useful* in proofs of number theoretic
statements. We can point to notions like length of proof; but while the
length of formal derivations certainly has something to do with it, it is
a fairly crude measure, and unlikely to provide much real insight.

Jeremy Avigad

Here is Matt Frank's posting (from May 10):