FOM: Re: Theorizing About Theories II: Formality as Language Acquisition

Everdell@aol.com Everdell at aol.com
Mon Jul 22 23:14:55 EDT 2002

In a message dated 7/21/02 1:52:20 PM, dennis.hamilton at acm.org writes:

<< This is the second of three notes on informal appreciation of Cantor's

development of a theory for transfinite sets and their equivalence. [...] I
consider that learning and use of formal symbolisms is just another kind of
language acquisition.  It is neither more nor less conceptual than ordinary
language.  The power of formal symbolisms, to me, is that it provides a way
to grasp the essentials of something and not be distracted by an inessential.
 That is, it has been found to be an indispensable companion to abstraction.
The simplicity of formalism as an apparent meaningless game with symbols, is
misleading.>>

With this I can wholeheartedly agree.  That it is in English is a great help,
but I agree that a symbolic language, once one masters it, is equally
agreeable, and "neither more nor less conceptual than ordinary language."  If
agreeable to others as well as Dennis Hamilton and myself, it might even be
called "objective."  Let me point out, by the way, that English is often used
loosely, but that loose (logically or syntactically) is not the same thing as
ordinary or colloquial.  I'm grateful for Hamilton's postings, and I look
forward to the third and final part of the disquisition so that I can reply
in kind.

-Bill Everdell, Edgartown, MA