FOM: Re: Arbitrary Objects

Mitchell Spector spector at seattleu.edu
Wed Jan 30 13:12:02 EST 2002

Charlie,

    Here's one way of formulating a notion of "arbitrary object".  Use a
many-worlds interpretation, as is sometimes done in quantum mechanics.
Every time you say something like "Let x be an arbitrary object", you're
duplicating the universe of discourse into many (usually infinitely
many) different universes, each one with a different distinguished
constant symbolized by x.  (Here, x is a new constant symbol, of course.)

    I hesitate to get into this, because I tend to agree, in fact, with
the prevailing sentiment that "arbitrary" isn't an adjective in this
case, that the phrase "arbitrary object" is just a convenient way of
speaking when carrying out certain kinds of logical arguments.
Nevertheless, a many-worlds approach would provide a way of formulating
arbitrary objects as virtual objects, or real objects in virtual
universes, depending how you think of it.

Mitchell Spector
Seattle University