FOM: Copernicus and Newton

Mark Steiner marksa at vms.huji.ac.il
Thu Feb 28 02:04:02 EST 2002

    The underlying, yet not entirely explicit, ideas behind Newton's destruction
of the geocentric sentence, is that (a) all forces are exerted by bodies, and
empty absolute space (though it does exist for Newton) cannot exert forces and
(b) no force can increase with the distance from the body that exerts it.  Now,
for all heavenly bodies to go around the earth in 24 hours, this means that the
earth itself would have to exert a force which increases with the distance