FOM: Kanovei's Picture

Dean Buckner Dean.Buckner at btopenworld.com
Mon Apr 15 17:15:32 EDT 2002

Kanovei suggests we cannot picture two different things as having identical
properties.  I think that's probably right.  But let me ask, does he
understand the meaning of the relational expression

    ' -- is a different thing from -- ' ?

Either he does, or not.  If not, his mental picture has no meaning either.
If he does, then he has no need of the picture.

And so, since its terms cannot ever be the same, this relation is
fundamentally asymmetrical?  Or is it that the blank placeholders have a
meaning as well?  And a different meaning?

Dean Buckner
4 Spencer Walk
London, SW15 1PL
ENGLAND