FOM: Alice, Bob and Carol

Adrian-Richard-David Mathias Adrian-Richard-David.Mathias at helios.univ-reunion.fr
Mon Apr 8 23:57:17 EDT 2002

> 4.  Suppose we add the information that Alice is a different person from Bob
> and Carol.  Now we have the information that at least three people are
> married.

I don't follow the reasoning. Bob and Carol might be the same
person;  e.g. Carol might be the late King of Romania of that name
and Bob his pseudonym when incognito. Alice might be married to Bob-Carol,
(which of course raises the possibility that Alice has gone through a form
of marriage with someone she calls Bob, unaware that he is also Carol.)

A.R.D.Mathias,
   Professeur de Mathématiques Pures

Département de Mathématiques et Informatique,
Université de la Réunion
15, Avenue René Cassin BP 7151
97715 St Denis de la Réunion, Messagerie 9,
France

bureau:     00262 262 93 82 88
télécopie:  00262 262 93 82 60