FOM: logic fellowships at Monash University

Stephen G Simpson simpson at math.psu.edu
Tue Oct 23 10:14:34 EDT 2001

 Subject: position openings
 From: Bernd Meyer <bernd.meyer at acm.org>

 Dear Colleague,

 Monash University will shortly advertise the following positions.
 We would appreciate if you could pass on this information to potentially
 interested students and colleagues. People interested in applying should
 contact me by email.

 Thanks for your help!

 Bernd

 PS: Apologies if you have received multiple copies of this email

 Research Fellowships and PhD Scholarships in Computer Science

 Applications are invited for post-doctoral fellowships in the area of
 diagrammatic reasoning and intelligent user interface technology by the
 School of Computer Science and Software Engineering at Monash University,
 Melbourne, Australia.  We are seeking candidates who hold a PhD and have a
 strong research background in artificial intelligence, computational logic,
 deductive systems, or human-computer interaction.  We also offer
 competitive scholarships for suitably qualified PhD candidates who would
 like to work in these areas.

 The Project

 Appointees will work in an ARC funded research project on diagrammatic
 reasoning. This is part of longer term research into the foundations of
 intelligent visual user interfaces.  The focus of the current project is
 computational methods for the interpretation of diagrams and sketches,
 and for reasoning and problem-solving with diagrams.

 The Position

 We are seeking to appoint a post-doctoral fellow at level A or B depending
 on qualification and experience.  Successful applicants will have the
 ability to bridge between theoretical concepts and concrete applications
 and a strong motivation to lay a solid theoretical base for the development
 of next generation human-computer interfaces.  You will be part of a
 dynamic research environment with many links to other national and
 international research centers.

 The initial appointment will be for two years with the possibility of
 a further appointment depending on availability of research funding.

 Salary range: A$ 41,694-60,382 plus additional benefits.

 PhD scholarships range up to A$ 30,0000.

 The University

 Monash University is one of Australia's elite research universities.  The
 School of Computer Science and Software Engineering is the largest school
 within the Faculty of Information Technology which comprises approximately
 190 academic staff members on several campuses in Melbourne and overseas.

 for information contact:

 Bernd Meyer
 School of Computer Science and Software Engineering
 Monash University
 Clayton Campus, Wellington Road
 PO Box 26, Victoria 3800
 Australia