FOM: What is f.o.m., briefly?

Peter Schuster Peter.Schuster at mathematik.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Oct 4 12:46:35 EDT 2001

In reaction to the reactions to my posting

let me try to explain---this time in other words---what I had in mind.

Here we go:

Could one explain the discussion about "the right" foundations of
mathematics as a discussion about what is "to be" accepted as given
in mathematics (e.g., numbers, infinity, continuum, sets, categories,
cardinals, axioms, and the like) in addition to the maybe less doubtful
logical/analytic items (notwithstanding the fact that a particular choice
of the former has a certain impact on the latter)?

There are also two notes to be made, of a comparatively marginal character.

First, I should stress that I wrote

"synthetic knowledge a priori is possible",

instead of perhaps writing

"synthetic knowledge is a priori possible"

or, presumably equivalently to the latter but not to the former,

"synthetic knowledge is possible a priori".

Next, when I said that "it is both possible and impossible" is a somewhat
tautological answer to every question like the one mentioned above,
I did not mean the formal character of this conjunction, which indeed
is rather that of a contradiction. What I wanted to say is that as long
there is no commonly accepted answer, and I doubt that there is any,
it is in order to view the item whose possibility is put under scrutiny
as possible---but also, and at the same time, as impossible. Needless to
say, there is little substance in any such statements when they are viewed
as such. Moreover, "it is either impossible or else possible" is no more a
tautology than anything like the law of bivalence, the law of the excluded
middle, etc.