FOM: Nonstandard models of N

G. Aldo Antonelli aldo at uci.edu
Wed Mar 14 19:43:52 EST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Alasdair Urquhart wrote:

> There is a proof of Tennenbaum's result in, for example,
> Paul Cohen's monograph on the continuum hypothesis (p. 48),
> and no doubt elsewhere.  It extends to quite weak subsystems
> of first-order PA.

I believe it's in Boolos & Jeffrey *Computability & Logic*
(last chapter, written in Boolos' unmistakable style).

I don't have the book with me now, but I am pretty sure.

- Aldo

G. Aldo Antonelli
Dept. of Logic & Philosophy of Science
University of California, Irvine
949 824 6523 (voice), 949 824 8388 (fax)
aldo at uci.edu
http://kleene.ss.uci.edu

"Logic ... is not in a particularly fortunate position.  On the one
hand, philosophers prefer to speak of it without using it, while on
the other hand mathematicians prefer to use it without speaking of
it and even without desiring to hear it spoken of"
(C.H. Langford, 1937)