FOM: Re: Nonstandard models of N

Marcin Mostowski marcinmo at mail.uw.edu.pl
Wed Mar 14 14:03:41 EST 2001

No, no, no, take the following standard models:
N1 = (omega, s),
N2 = (omega, +),
N3 = (omega, *),
N4 = (omega,+, *).
Theories of N1, N2, N3 are decidable, but of N4 is not decidable. Other sets
of natural numbers are definable in N1, N2, N3 - for first two see e.g.
Chang-Kiesler "Model theory", for N3 see e.g. Smorynski "Logical number
theory, vol. 1".

In each model of any reasonable set theory you will have continuum
nonisomorphic countable models elementary equivalent to N4 - as I remember
it is an exercise in Chang-Kiesler book. So a lot of nonstandard models.

Marcin Mostowski