FOM: Re: 2nd-order logic

Marcin Mostowski marcinmo at mail.uw.edu.pl
Wed Mar 14 13:45:27 EST 2001

I do not know what exactly Boolos was thinking of, but I know very well an
example because it is from my own papers. It is the logic with branched
(Henkin) quantifiers with dualization.

You take the following composition rules
1. for each variable x, the following are prefixes: Ex, Ax;
2. if Q and Q' are prefixes then the following are prefixes: (QQ') -
horizontal composition, (Q/Q') - vertical composition, and Q^d - the
dualization of Q.

The dualization means that Q^d is equivalent to ~Q~, which trivially is
first-order definable, but not in a context of vertical compositions.
Without dualization you will get the logic with Henkin quantifiers, but with
dualization you will obtain just the logic equivalent to the second order
logic.

 For the first time it was presented at LMPhS 1987 in Moscow. For a
reference with detailed discussion see "Quantifiers" (ed-s:
Krynicki-M.Mostowski-Szczerba) Kluwer 1995, in vol. 1 the survey by me and
M. Krynicki "Henkin Quantifiers", and in vol. 2 my paper "Quantifiers
definable by second order means". In the first paper you can find also some
philosophical comments.

Other - earlier - known to me example is the logic defined by David Harel
(ZMLGM year ?), about which he erroniousely has claimed that it was
equivalent to the logic with Henkin quantifiers L^*.

Actually it is known that is semantically strongly between boolean
combinations of Sigma^1_1 and Delta^1_2.

Anyway you can always obtain second order logic from the first order one by
adding countably many Lindstrom generalized quantifiers - but the
construction is slightly artificial one. The most natural (which I know) is
that mentioned at the begining.

Marcin Mostowski