FOM: Question grown from Friedman talks

Colin McLarty cxm7 at po.cwru.edu
Thu Feb 1 21:19:53 EST 2001

	I have heard two talks by Harvey Friedman lately, and talked with him at
both, and they got me thinking of various things. Rather than say what I
think Harvey might think, though, let me throw out a question people could
discuss. I'm especially interested to know what you think of it, Harvey.

	Is it likely that, in the foreseeable future, it will become routine for
mainstream mathematicians to exceed any fixed axiomatic foundation--in the
sense that, given any specific extension of ZFC, they will soon prove
theorems that go beyond that?