FOM: Re: New solution to the Liar paradox

Roger Bishop Jones rbjones at rbjones.com
Sun Dec 9 00:40:37 EST 2001

On Saturday 08 December 2001  2:35 pm, charles silver wrote:

> What's more puzzling to me than than The
> Liar sentence itself is the persistent attention it has gotten over the
> years and still gets.

"The liar" is important IMO because of its connection with "the
definability of truth" and hence with the important question in the
foundations of semantics as to whether an infinite regress of
metalanguages is inevitable or avoidable.

I should dearly like to know the answer to that question.

However, I don't suggest that this accounts for its popular interest.

Roger Jones