FOM: Re: SOL confusion

Matt Insall montez at rollanet.org
Sat Sep 9 15:15:51 EDT 2000

Martin:
However I refuse to dismiss work on deductive SOL. The work of Boolos et al
I've mentioned is quite interesting although the semantics is obscure.
Likewise the proof theoretic work is difficult and studied by serious
logians.

Matt:
I agree that work on deductive SOL should not be dismissed.  Deduction
systems may be incomplete, but that does not bother me so much.  As you said
some time back, there is much we will never know.  In fact, even if all
deduction systems were complete, there would be very much we would never
know.  This becomes a problem of feasibility, i.e., dealing with how fast we
can solve various problems or parts of problems.

Dr. Matt Insall
http://www.umr.edu/~insall