FOM: Goedel: truth and misinterpretations

Vladimir Sazonov v.sazonov at doc.mmu.ac.uk
Thu Nov 2 15:00:11 EST 2000

Kanovei wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 08:07:48 +0100
> > From: Torkel Franzen <torkel at sm.luth.se>
> >
> >    (2) Even if every even number greater than 2 is the sum of two
> >        primes, this is not necessarily provable in ZFC.

Very good! Eventually, instead of "A is true" it is written simply A.
The ill-stared "truth" is banished!
Now, step-by-step the former (1) and (2) can be formalized
(in one of *several possible* ways; strictly speaking, we should
say here not about formalization, but on a way of reading).
Then we, together with Torkel Franzen?, probably will understand
what he wanted to say. It is quite normal in mathematics. First a
vague idea, then some its formal counterpart. What will happen
with the initial idea, how it will be changed or even disappear at all,
may be even not very important, if some interesting (and meaningful)
formal statement will be eventually obtained.

> Why don't you explain what you really mean ?

Yes, please! Why should we guess what could be a meaning of
this mysterious sentence?

Vladimir Sazonov