FOM: sad news about Jon Barwise

Stephen G Simpson simpson at math.psu.edu
Tue Mar 7 11:32:15 EST 2000

Dear FOM,

Our good friend and colleague Jon Barwise died at home early Sunday
morning.  He has been ill with colon cancer since early last year.

Some of you will recall that Jon was a participant in the informal
discussion group which grew into FOM.  See also Jon's message of Thu
Oct 02 10:16:33 1997 and several subsequent FOM postings in 1997 and
1998 and as late as March 1999.

Here is an announcement from one of Jon's colleagues at Indiana
University.

-- Steve Simpson