FOM: Re: AC and Tychonov

Matt Insall montez at rollanet.org
Tue Feb 22 19:32:46 EST 2000

Thank you, professor Ross, for clearing this up.  I should have thought of
this myself.  It's interesting, then, that we can essentially show that
Tychonoff's Theorem in the Hausdorff setting follows from BPI.  Although I
have not gone through the details of the converse, it seems that the
Hausdorff Tychonoff Theorem is equivalent to BPI.  I shall check to see if
Rubin and Howard note this fact.  (They probably do.)

Matt Insall
Associate Professor
Mathematics and Statistics Department
University of Missouri - Rolla