FOM: Nominalist, predicativist, constructive physics

James Robert Brown jrbrown at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 17 19:44:23 EST 2000

In my recent Philosophy of Mathematics I mentioned (favourably) Hellman's work
arguing that there is no constructive proof of Gleason's thm.  Bridges wrote a
long email telling me that this is false.  I showed this to Hellman who wrote a
reply in which he sticks to his guns.  I have a web page associated with this
book (listing typos, etc), so with their permission I put put their respective
messages on this page.  Those who wish to see it can follow the obvious links
below.  Both letters are interesting.

--Jim B.

James Robert Brown
Department of Philosophy
University of Toronto
Toronto    M5S 1A1
Canada
Phone: office (416) 978-1727,  home (519) 439-2889
Email:  jrbrown at chass.utoronto.ca
Home page: http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~jrbrown/index.htm