FOM: General Intellectual Interest

Pat Hayes phayes at ai.uwf.edu
Fri Mar 26 11:12:02 EST 1999

>At 01:30 PM 3/25/99 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>Harvey Friedman writes:
>>>But I am confident that you will join me and many others on the FOM list in
>>>enthusiastically celebrating this recognition of Turing and Godel!!
>>
>>Well, yes and no. Imagine what one of the apostles would have felt if he
>>had known that one day there would be best-selling books on the Christian
>>approach to making lots of money.
>>
>>I dont think it is really a cause for celebration because I dont think it
>>really is recognition in the sense that would be worth celebrating. .....
>>Pat Hayes
>>

>Dear Pat,
>
>Please read the TIME's articles before forming conclusions about them.

The actual articles are irrelevant to my point, which had to do with how
these names were chosen (a process which presumably preceded the
commissioning of the articles) and the reasons why these names are part of
the general "culture".

Pat Hayes

IHMC, University of West Florida		(850)434 8903   home
11000 University Parkway			(850)474 2091   office
Pensacola,  FL 32514			(850)474 3023   fax
phayes at ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes