FOM: an unusual recursion theory meeting; impressions of CTA talks

Stephen G Simpson simpson at math.psu.edu
Mon Jun 21 21:36:37 EDT 1999

This FOM posting is about the recent meeting ``Computability Theory
and Applications'', which I will abbreviate as CTA.  For background,
see <http://www.math.psu.edu/simpson/cta/> and my posting of 21 Jun
1999 14:53:41.  Computability theory is of course a synonym for
recursion theory.

Obviously the organizers of the CTA meeting were concerned with a
distinction between *pure* recursion theory, i.e. the study of
structural questions concerning r.e. degrees, r.e. sets, etc., and
*applied* recursion theory, i.e. recursion theory connected to issues
and programs in f.o.m. and other areas, including: recursive
mathematics, intuitionistic mathematics, constructive mathematics,
reverse mathematics, theoretical computer science, undecidable
problems in mathematics, etc.

Historically, the pure/applied dichotomy has been fairly stark.  For
example, priority methods were originated by Friedberg and Muchnik to
produce an incomparable pair of r.e. degrees, and difficult priority
arguments remain a hallmark of pure recursion theory.  But priority
methods are almost completely absent from applied recursion theory.
(Below I will point out an exception to this rule.)

At the CTA meeting, the pure/applied distinction was also much in
evidence.  Although the organizers tried to include a lot of applied
recursion theory talks and to bridge the pure/applied gap, there was
very little actual connection between the two domains.  There were
only a few points of intellectual contact between the pure recursion
theory talks and the applied recursion theory talks.  (Below I will
mention some of these points of contact.)

Here are some of my impressions of individual talks at the CTA
meeting.  I will post more on this later.  I urge other FOM
subscribers who were CTA participants to comment further.

 >     8:30-9:15   Sergey Goncharov,           computable model theory
 >                 Novosibirsk
 >    11:00-11:20  Serikzhan Badaev, Almaty    numeration theory
 >     3:30-3:50   Bakh Khoussainov, Auckland  issues in computable
 >                                             presentations of models
 >     7:20-7:35   Yuri Ershov, Novosibirsk    Computability in HF over
 >                                             a dense linear order

These Russian talks on recursive model theory were ``applied'' but
very hard to understand.  No motivation was given in terms of
f.o.m. or connections with other subjects.  Of this group of talks,
Khoussainov's was the easiest for me to understand, maybe because his
English is excellent.  I wish I knew this area better.

 >     4:00-4:20   Mikhail Peretyat'kin        finitely axiomatizable theories
 >                 Almaty                      and Lindenbaum algebras

It was very helpful that Peretyatkin circulated a 5-page abstract.
But his talk was hard to understand.

It so happens that Peretyatkin has a lot of beautiful results and
conjectures on properties of finitely axiomatizable theories, along
the lines of saying that given any recursively axiomatizable theory,
you can construct a finitely axiomatizable theory with similar
properties.  But I doubt that anybody could have gleaned this from his
talk, because he stated the results in an opaque way.  I understood
the talk, but only because I happen to have previous familiarity with
Peretyatkin's book.

 >    10:30-10:50  Julia Knight, Notre Dame    models of arithmetic

This was a nice ``applied recursion theory'' talk, linking recursion
theory to models of first-order arithmetic, PA.  Knight also
circulated a paper to go with the talk.  She emphasized Scott sets,
i.e., omega-models of WKL_0, as we reverse mathematicians prefer to
call them.

Knight mentioned the following problems, where S is a Scott set.

  0. Does there exist a model M of PA such that S is the Scott system
     of M?

  1. If X belongs to S and is nonrecursive, does there exist Y in S
     that is Turing incomparable to X?

  2. If X belongs to S and is nonrecursive, does there exist a Scott
     set S_1 included in M such that X does not belong to S_1?

Question 0 has been around for a long time and there has not been any
recent progress.  The answer is yes if S is countable, by an old
result of Scott, and yes if S is of cardinality aleph_1, by an old
result of Harvey Friedman, but otherwise nothing is known.

Groszek and Slaman now think they can answer problem 1 affirmatively,
using difficult techniques from their recent paper showing that any
Scott set contains a minimal Turing degree.

It turns out that the answer to problem 2 was essentially already
known.  The answer to problem 2 is yes if the complete r.e. set
belongs to M, by the usual Gandy/Kreisel/Tait construction, and no
otherwise, by a result of Kucera in a paper published in the Logic
Colloquium 87 volume.

Kucera's result is as follows: There exists a recursively inseparable
pair of disjoint r.e. sets A and B such that if X and Y are separating
sets then either the symmetric difference of X and Y is finite or the
complete r.e. set is recursive in the pair (X,Y).

Outline of proof: Let C be a maximal r.e. set such that for all i, the
ith element of the complement of C is greater than the stage at which
the ith Turing machine halts, if it halts.  Thus the complete r.e. set
is recursive in any infinite subset of the complement of C.  Now apply
the Friedberg splitting theorem to decompose C as A union B.

[ It's interesting to me that this result of Kucera uses a priority
argument.  As everybody knows and as I mentioned above, priority
arguments are a distinctive hallmark of pure recursion theory and are
usually absent from applied recursion theory.  For example, my book on
reverse mathematics <http://www.math.psu.edu/simpson/sosoa/> contains
absolutely no applications of priority arguments.  However, if I had
known about this result of Kucera in time, I would certainly have
incorporated it into my book, in section VIII.2 to be exact. ]

 >     1:30-2:15   Jeff Remmel, San Diego      computable algebra

This was a very rapid-fire talk with a zillion theorems on recursive
algebra and combinatorics, polynomial time algebra, etc.
Unfortunately there was no accompanying paper, and there was little in
the way of motivation.

A good thing that Remmel did was to advertise the recently published
two-volume collection of papers, ``Handbook of Recursive Mathematics''
(North-Holland), which he did a huge amount of work on, and which
looks extremely impressive.

 >     8:30-9:15   Peter Cholak, Notre Dame    lattice of computably
 >                                             enumerable sets

This was an excellent ``pure recursion theory'' talk.  It dealt mostly
with the relationship between r.e. degrees and the lattice of
r.e. sets.  Why should anyone be interested in this?  No answer, and
no accompanying paper.  Eloquently presented, however.

 >     10:15-11:00 Bob Soare, Chicago     lattice of computably
 >                                        enumerable sets

Another ``pure recursion theory'' talk.  The focus was on advanced
methodology for constructing automorphisms of the lattice of
r.e. sets.  Why should anyone be interested in this?  No answer, and
no accompanying paper.  Eloquently presented, but totally
incomprehensible except to experts on r.e. sets.

There were the usual Soare touches.  For example, Soare tried to push
a mystical or Zen-like analogy concerning a sword and a scabbard, with
references to the Star Wars movie series.  In addition, he made an
extremely dubious claim that high-school students can appreciate
advanced methods of constructing automorphisms of the lattice of
r.e. sets.  The reason that Soare gave is that experts on r.e. sets
such as himself are able to draw Venn diagrams presenting their
methodological ideas to each other, and every high-school student
understands Venn diagrams.

 >     11:10-11:30 Klaus Ambos-Spies,          genericity and randomness
 >                 Heidelberg

This talk was a nice survey comparing various notions of genericity
(in the sense of Baire category) and randomness (in the sense of
Lebesgue measure), with connections to Kolmogorov complexity,
polynomial time computability, etc.  I had not previously been aware
of Schnorr's interesting work.

Ambos-Spies mentioned the following remarkable result of Kucera: there
exists a non-recursive real X such every Martin-Lof random real is
Martin-Lof random relative to X.

[ Martin-Lof randomness is very interesting to me, because it is
closely connected to the formal system WWKL_0 which arises naturally
in the reverse mathematics of measure theory.  See my book for