FOM: scientific wrongdoing

Jeff Hirst jlh at math.appstate.edu
Mon Feb 15 17:41:12 EST 1999

Hi-

Steve Simpson recently stated that "(he is) happy to give credit
to (his graduate students) when they earned it."

As one of Steve's former Ph.D. students, I would concur with
this statement.  To the best of my knowledge, Steve never
exploits any of his students.   He was an excellent mentor.

It seems to me that exploitation of graduate students might
be more common in sciences that are more experimental in
nature (like physics or chemistry).   I have no hard data
to support this, though there seems to be abundant anecdotal
evidence.

-Jeff Hirst

Jeff Hirst   jlh at math.appstate.edu
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Appalachian State University, Boone, NC  28608
vox:828-262-2861    fax:828-265-8617