FOM: Re: CH; reply to Rijs and Cohn

Martin Schlottmann martin_schlottmann at math.ualberta.ca
Wed Sep 16 16:29:39 EDT 1998

I think that Cohn's construction which doesn't even use
AC, i.e., which works entirely in plain ZF, shows that
Rijs' example does not provide a intuitive decision of CH.

Generally, I would like to emphasize that the existence
of a certain probability space with properties which
translate into a paradoxical situation when formulated
in terms of a game, i.e., an everyday life situation,
cannot serve for a refutation of CH for the same reason
that the Banach-Tarski theorem does not refute AC only
because a paradoxical situation arises when formulated
in terms of baseball, knife, and glue.

--
Martin Schlottmann <martin_schlottmann at math.ualberta.ca>

Department of Mathematical Sciences, CAB 583
University of Alberta, Edmonton AB T6G 2G1, Canada