FOM: goading Harvey?

Stephen G Simpson simpson at math.psu.edu
Fri Sep 4 23:42:46 EDT 1998

Joseph Shoenfield writes:

 > I guess my secret reason for mentioning it was to encourage Harvey
 > to believe that if he proved such a result, his might receive some
 > of the accolade which Martin and Steel have received (e.g., the
 > Karp prize).

Hmmmm.  Joe, it sounds as if you are trying to bait or goad Harvey by
unfavorably comparing his recent work to that of Martin, Steel and
Woodin which won the Karp Prize in 1988.  I think this kind of goading
is in questionable taste.

In any case, let me put your comment in perspective.  Harvey's work in
f.o.m. was honored by the Waterman Award in 1984.  The Waterman Award
is for the best US researcher under a certain age in all fields of
science and engineering and included a prize of 150,000 US dollars in
1984, or perhaps 500,000 in current US dollars, plus lunch in the
White House.  By comparison, the Karp Prize covers only mathematical
logic and is only 500 US dollars.  This is a ratio of 1000 to 1.

-- Steve