bourbaki is dead!; was Re: FOM: Reply to Professor Segal

Michel Eytan eytan at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Sep 3 03:40:58 EDT 1998

Adrian Mathias hath held forth thus at 4:20 pm -0400 2-9-98:

> %% the following is a "detexed" version. I shall put the plain tex
> %% version on my preprint server in Cambridge.
>

> Further remarks on Bourbaki
>
> A. R. D. MATHIAS
>
> Universidad de los Andes, Santa Fe de Bogota, Colombia
[snip]

Since many members of this list seem unaware of it, Bourbaki is dead since
June 1968, when a notice was posted at the Institut Henri Poincare (Paris)
saying as much.

I remember no more the signatories but among them was AFAIK Jacques
Roubaud, a poet and mathematician member of OULIPO (Ouvroir de litterature
potentielle), a close friend of the well-known Category-theorist Jean
Benabou.

Cheers

Michel Eytan                           eytan at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr
ICQ #14092999                          "I say what I mean and mean what I say"