FOM: panegyric?

Neil Tennant neilt at mercutio.cohums.ohio-state.edu
Wed Mar 18 21:53:13 EST 1998

Joe,
Panegyric? By definition, a panegyric has to be about someone in particular.
I was intentionally talking about no one in particular. I was just offering
some general reflections about the human condition and our possible mutual
obligations as intellectuals.
Naturally one has to resign oneself to the normal cut and thrust of a world in which one would be fortunate in having supporters and detractors in even equal masure. What was it Oscar Wilde said?: "The only thing worse than being talked
ut is not being talked about."

Neil Tennant