FOM: Boolean algebra vs Boolean ring

Vaughan Pratt pratt at cs.Stanford.EDU
Mon Mar 16 16:27:44 EST 1998

From: Simpson
>Pratt carefully omits the surrounding context.  This context makes
>Sikorski's statement mathematically correct and supports the generally
>accepted view of the matter, which is the opposite of Pratt's.

Adding equations that everyone should know anyway might amplify a
proposition like "Every Boolean algebra is a Boolean ring", but your
suggestion that the amplification logically negates it is remarkable.

In any event I already referred to this context yesterday in case you
hadn't noticed, in my reply to Kanovei agreeing with him that this is
exactly how the correspondence works.  I had not bothered with typing
in all those formulas (thank you for doing this) thinking that they were
familiar to everyone.  I see in retrospect that I misjudged the situation.

Vaughan Pratt