FOM: Hersh's fingers

steel@math.berkeley.edu steel at math.berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 1 15:24:09 EST 1998

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Reuben Hersh wrote:

> Why don't you respond to the serious point I was making?
> Some people say that five is an empirical, physical entity, because
> it applies to *the set of your toes*  and *the set of my fingers.*  Some
> say, with equal or greater force, that five is an abstraction, part of an
> abstract theory.  I claim to resolve this contradiction by showing that
> "five" has two distinct but related meanings, one empirical, and
> one in the so-called "abstract theory" (which is  real and
> resides in our collective thinking.)

    It is debatable whether this is a "serious point". I personally just
find it muddled. For example, the assertion "five is an abstraction, part
of an abstract theory" confuses the word "five" with the number five.
Theories are linguistic entities; it is the word "five", not the number
five to which it refers, which is part of a theory. This sort of confusion
is probably the fundamental one underlying Hersh's views, and I and many