FOM: MSC abolishes Set Theory !!!

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 8 03:54:44 EDT 1998

I think this is a big mistake.  Set theory is just
another branch of mathematics.  Politically this will
entrench the viewpoint that Set Theory is part
of foundations and it is this view, i think, which
causes a lot of the misunderstanding of Set Theory
(more prevalent over this side of the pond, admittedly)
and the hostility we experience.  A lot of mathematicians
think either: set theory is foundations and who cares
about foundations? or:  set theorists think it's their
job to tell us the meaning of what we do.  This new
classification can only reinforce these views.

       Thomas Forster