FOM: Re: First-order logic -- a query

Kanovei kanovei at wminf2.math.uni-wuppertal.de
Thu Jan 15 13:40:50 EST 1998

>From: "Michael Thayer" <mthayer at ix.netcom.com>
>Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:37:46 -0600

>I ask why use of Z or ZF or ZFC instead of NF, NFU,
>NFC or the Church systems?

I personally use ZFC, as the background system,
in my mathematical research work
because it provides me with reliable instrumentarium
to deal with mathematical objects. Any known
alternative does not stay contest with ZFC.

I mean I can see myself studying e.g. topoi -- as
interesting objects in the ZFC set world, but not
as the background for mathematics.

But it is clear that there are big branches in
mathematics which are perhaps in no need in any
sort of set theoretic or any other background.

Vladimir Kanovei