FOM: Harvey's corrections to me

Colin Mclarty cxm7 at po.cwru.edu
Tue Jan 13 16:08:09 EST 1998

	Harvey has written in to complain of some things I posted
(unfortunately I am on an old editor now which makes it hard to
quote his post and impossible to consult the archive).

	He objected to my saying he had quoted an argument between
him and a philosopher as to whether Wittgenstein was a greater
philosopher than Frege, without saying which "argument" I meant.
I should have been clearer that I was using "argument" in the
non-technical sense of an exchange between two people, devoted to
a disagreement between them. He quoted only one such exchange, and
that a fairly long one.

	Harvey correctly notes that he was concerned with the
intellectual importance of the results, not the "greater
philosopher", and that his opponent did the quoted name calling.

	I think my description of the exchange is fair. But I am
happy to correct any misimpression I may have given of blaming it
all on Harvey.

Colin McLarty