FOM: P=NP ?

Martin Davis martind at cs.berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 4 23:26:57 EST 1998

Some time ago Steve Cook wrote me "off line". I think his message is of
general interest, and he has permitted me to post it which I do below. But
first:

At 03:52 PM 1/3/98 -0800, Vaughan Pratt wrote:

>>From: martind at cs.berkeley.edu (Martin Davis)
>>Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 11:08:47 -0800
>>
>>OK. Let me stick my neck out. I think the betting is 50-50 on P=NP.
>
>>From: Stephen Cook <sacook at cs.toronto.edu>
>>Date:   Fri, 19 Dec 1997 17:54:54 -0500
>>
>>Here is one argument that likely P not= NP:  The theory of algorithms is
>>much more highly developed and successful than the theory of lower
>>bounds.  As evidence of our inability to prove lower bounds, consider
>>the sequence of inclusions
>>
>>   LOGSPACE  \subset   P   \subset   NP    \subset  PSPACE
>>
>>We know that the first class is a proper subset of the last, so at least
>>one of the intermediate inclusions must be proper.  But we haven't been
>>able to prove any of them is proper.
>
>>From: martind at cs.berkeley.edu (Martin Davis)
>>Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 15:17:09 -0800
>>
>>This [...] is a very serious argument.
>

>I'd be interested in knowing whether Martin's even odds for strictness
>of the middle inclusion also apply to strictness of the other two
>inclusions.
>
>FWIW, my own odds would be 3/1 against P=NP and 100/1 against each of
>the other two equalities.  In 1975 I bet that P=NP with a couple of
>people at even odds.  While I wouldn't offer quite those odds today,
>neither would I bet 10/1 against P=NP.
>I would be utterly astonished by either LOGSPACE=PTIME
>or NPTIME=PSPACE.  Were both to obtain (thereby resolving P=NP) I would
>become a monk.

I think that the inclusion most likely to be proper is that between NP and
PSPACE. After all, the entire P-time hierarchy sits between them.

Martin
Now Steve's message: