FOM: certainty

F. Xavier Noria fxn at cambrabcn.es
Tue Dec 22 06:36:21 EST 1998

Dear FOMers,

 | > Randy Pollack wrote:
 | > >
 | > > Vladimir Sazonov said he is "a permanent opponent of those who assert
 | > > existence of absolute mathematical truth."  I don't know what
 | > > "absolute truth" means.
 | >
 | > I too! Does anybody know?
 | >
 |  I don't either. But "2+2=4" seems to be absolutely true.
 |
 | Andrzej Trybulec

I cannot understand what "2" or "+" or "4" or, even, "=" would mean, I'm
afraid. I am sorry that I cannot figure out what the "set of the natural
numbers" could be and what "truth" concerning that concept would signify.

Nevertheless, we would agree if your claim was that "+(ss0, ss0) = ssss0"
is PA-demonstrable or the like.

Have a good Christmas time!

-- Xavier