FOM: Heidegger and FOM

John Mayberry J.P.Mayberry at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Aug 28 09:40:07 EDT 1998

Just a brief footnote to Olivier Souan's very interesting posting on
Heidegger. He mentions Jacob Klein's "beautiful" book "Greek
Mathematical Thought and the Origin of Algebra". (The adjective is
fully justified, in my view.) I met Klein in 1976 and spent the better
part of a day talking to him. He told me that he had been inspired to
take up the research that led to that book by attending Heidegger's
lectures on Aristotle. He also told me that Heidegger's style in
lecturing was quite different from that found in his books. According
to Klein he was very clear, very scrupulous, and very careful about
getting his translations exactly right. Klein was clearly very
impressed by him.

John Mayberry
J.P.Mayberry at bristol.ac.uk