FOM: Cantor and Hilbert knew what they were talking about

Torkel Franzen torkel at sm.luth.se
Thu Dec 4 14:20:22 EST 1997

jshipman says:

  >Cantor and Hilbert certainly felt that CH was meaningful, and I do NOT think
  >that there was anything essentially wrong with their thinking on this
  >matter.

  To say that CH is essentially indefinite is by no means to deny that it
is meaningful. You're welcome, of course, to do whatever you can to decide
CH in some convincing way. The view that CH is essentially indefinite
entails that you won't succeed, but it doesn't entail that either CH
or your endeavour is in any sense "meaningless".