A22.0004 Computers in Principle and Practice
New York University: Summer 1997
Due: Wednesday, May 21, 1997
Using Microsoft Word, write a few paragraphs detailing your computer
background (if any), and why you are taking the course. You should also
write a little bit about yourself, such as your major, your interests, your
The purpose of this assignment is to get you on the computer, and to
verify that you can start an application and get a printout. You may format
the document however you like. (You might use the spell checker to make
sure you avoid spelling mistakes!)
Turn in your printout in class.
Using the instructions below, subscribe to the mailing list for your
section. This will allow your instructor to broadcast announcements, corrections,
instructions, etc., to the entire class. You will be responsible for reading
email once before every class.
You don't have to hand in anything for this portion of the assignment!
Instead, we will be able to check whether you have successfully added yourself
to the mailing list.
Instructions for logging
onto your IS account are available on the web.
Subscribing to the mailing list
Select mail from the main menu of your IS account. This puts you
into the pine program.
- Type C to compose a message.
- You are in the "To:" field. Type email@example.com.
- Hit <return> or <Enter> three times to skip past the "Cc:"
field, and the "Attachment" field. You are now in the "Message
text" field. (Note that you don't even have to have a subject!!)
- Type in the the following. Note that the underscores '_' are very
then hit the <return>
- Type "help" and hit <return>.
- You are now ready to send the message. While holding down the control
key, hit the X key, and then let go of the control key. This is called
entering a "Control-X" which is written by the symbol '^X'.
- You will be returned to the main menu, where you should see the words
"Message sent" at the bottom of the screen. You should get a
return message telling you that you have subscribed correctly. If not,
try again, checking your typing very carefully.
- To quite pine, type q, and then type y to confirm
that you really want to quit.
- In short period of time, you may go back into pine and see the confirmation
which the Major Domo program will send to you automatically.