Due: Thursday, May 20th
Format TWO floppy disks for your work. Use one of them for your backup disk. You can use Zip disks if you like instead of floppies but having two is still a good idea even though they are more expensive.
Using Microsoft Word 98, write a few paragraphs detailing your computer background (if any), and why you are taking the course. You should also write a little bit about yourself, such as your major, your interests, your hobbies, etc.
The purpose of this assignment is to get you on the computer, and to verify that you can start an application and get a printout. You may format the document however you like. (You might use the spell checker to make sure you avoid spelling mistakes!)
Turn in your printout in class.
Choose someone in your class to be your "course buddy." Using PINE, exchange email with your "buddy." You'll also find this person to be a valuable resource throughout the semester if you might miss a class or need notes or need someone to ask "what was that?!" Nothing to turn in!
Use Netscape Navigator (or Netscape Communicator or Microsoft
Internet Explorer) to look
at the course home page. You may get to that page by looking at:
From there, choose "Course Home Pages" and then the "A22.0004" section you are registered in. As the course page is still being developed, you may not be able to do this step. Keep trying until you see your section listed. It's a good idea to visit this web site very often. Again, nothing to turn in.
Using the instructions below, subscribe to the mailing list for your section. This will allow your instructor to broadcast announcements, corrections, instructions, etc., to the entire class. You will be responsible for reading email once before every class.
You don't have to hand in anything for this portion of the assignment! Instead, we will be able to check whether you have successfully added yourself to the mailing list.
Subscribing to the mailing list
Select mail from the main menu of your IS account. This puts you into the PINE program.
1. Type C to compose a message.
2. You are in the "To:" field. Type email@example.com.
3. Hit <return> or <Enter> three times to skip past the "Cc:" field, and the "Attachment" field. You are now in the
"Message text" field. (Note that you don't even have to have a subject!!)
4. Type in one of the the following. Note that the underscores '_' are very important.
then hit the <return> key.
1. Type "help" and hit <return>.
2. You are now ready to send the message. While holding down the control key, hit the X key, and then let go of the control key. This is called entering a "Control-X" which is written by the symbol '^X'.
3. You will be returned to the main menu, where you should see the words "Message sent" at the bottom of the screen. You should get a return message telling you that you have subscribed correctly. If not, try again, checking your typing very carefully.
4. To quite PINE, type q, and then type y to confirm that you really want to quit.
5. In short period of time, you may go back into PINE and see the confirmation which the Major Domo program will send to you automatically.