- This will just set up your web page for the first time. Later in the semester you will update this page, but for the time being we just want to establish your page and verify that you page is out there.
login: your NYUHome Netid
Password: your NYUHome password
Web Folder/directory: public_html (This folder on i5 accounts that will serve files to the web. All html and image files should be uploaded into this folder to be viewd on the web)
Web pages address/URL: http//i5.nyu.edu/~netid
Note: ITS currently requires a secure login to i5. This can be done using "Putty" on the PC and "MacSSH" on the Mac. This software is available via download from ITS at http://www.nyu.edu/its/software/ and is also on the NYU-Net CD which is available from ITS for students at no charge.
1. Double-click on MacSSH
2. Select File and then Open Connection
3. A new connection menu appears. Type in the host name of "i5.nyu.edu".
4. Click connect.
Use your Net ID when you are prompted for a login. If this is the first time you are logging in, your password is the same as your NYUHome account password. If you forgot your password, you can reset it by visiting this webpage:
If you continue to have problems login into your i5.nyu.edu account, please inform your instructor asap.
$ mkdir public_html
$ chmod 755 public_html
$ cd public_html
$ cp /usr/local/etc/index.html .
$ chmod 644 index.html
$ cd ..
$ chmod 711 NetID (where NetID is YOUR NetID)
(Note: the fourth line has a space and a period after the text; these must be included.)
- Use an FTP program (FETCH for the MAC or WS_FTP for the PC) to download or transfer your "index.html" webpage file from your i5 remote server to your local computer so you can update this file.
- Then use SimpleTEXT for the MAC or NotePAD for the PC to make the following changes:
- Change the "john Doe" name to your name.
- Change the John Doe email to your NYUHome email address
- Save the file again as "index.html" and then test it in browser locally to make sure it looks ok.
- Use FETCH or WS_FTP to upload or transfer the "index.html" file from your computer to your i5.nyu.edu and make sure you are uploading to "public_html" folder on your server
- Check again to see if your page is ok on the server using Internet Explorer, Netscape, or the browser of your choice to look at: