You must complete all labs on the given virtual machine (VM). To install the virtual machine on your computer, take
the following steps.
- Step 1. Download the Virtualbox
virtual machine monitor here. Choose the right
binary to download according to the type of operating system running on your laptop.
- Step 2. Ensure that you have ~8GB of disk space before moving to step 3.
- Step 3. Download the class virtual machine image here. This file is fairly large (~1.6GB), so you need to be patient.
- Step 4. Install and launch Virtualbox. On the Virtualbox application toolbar, under the Menu
item "File", click on "Import appliance...", and choose the previously downloaded ova file
- Step 5. Leave the default settings. You do not need to change anything.
- Step 6. After importing, start the virtual machine named by pressing "START" key
and you are done. The login name and password (login: cso password: csocourse).
TroubleshootingIn case you face a problem related to importing the VM, please check the following.
The following steps are for Windows Machines:
- Reboot your machine
the reboot process, and before the Windows Logo appears, keep pressing
( F2 or F1 or F10 or F8 or Delete or ESC, sometimes it is
different key. Pay close attention to the initial screen when you press
the power button. It will say which key to press to get to the Setup menu.). But act quickly. If the Windows starts then go back to step 1.
- This will open the BIOS menu
- The menu will be very different depending on BIOS version and processor type. But navigate till "Security" menu.
that VT-x (for Intel Processors) or AMD-v (for AMD processors) are
enabled. You will have something similar to Figure 1 below.
- Save and exit the BIOS
- The machine will reboot.
virtualBox --> select the VM (cso) from the left handside. --> go
to settings of the VM --> System --> Acceleration --> ensure
that "Enable VT-x/AMD-v" is activated
If you are still facing a problem, please send it to the course mailing list and we will do our best to help.
Figure 1: An example BIOS security menu (source)
Type of error you may get: "verr_cfgm_node_exist"
this does not work, do the above steps except at steps 4 and 5,
instead of disabling USB change it to another type (e.g. change it to
- Open VirtualBox GUI
- go to the the new VM (imported appliance)
- select USB tab
- disable USB
- enable USB
- start the new VM (imported appliance)