Introduction to Web Design and Computer Principles
Week 1, 9/3/15
- What is the internet?
- A brief history of the internet
- What is the web?
- What is a web page?
- Topics we'll cover in this course
- Course logistics
What is the internet?
The internet is
- A 'network of networks'
- A global network of computers
- A decentralized, packet-switched network built on top of the TCP/IP set of protocols
The internet supports a number of different protocols
- SMTP (email)
The client-server model
A Very brief history of the internet
What is the World Wide Web?
World Wide Web (1990)
A web page consists of:
Provides basic structure and allows you to add multimedia elements like images, audio and video to a web page.
Allows you to align the elements on a page and add style elements like color, backgrounds, fonts, etc.
Allows you to add interactive elements that move, animate and change state based on user input.
Here's what we'll be covering in this class:
HTML & CSS
Responsive web design
Web Audio and Video
Tools that you will learn how to use in this class:
- Terminal/Command Line
- Sublime Text
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe InDesign
The web in 1994
- Office hour: Tuesdays, 11:30am - 12:30pm
- Describe your level of experience with computers and the web
- What interests you about this course?
- You are expected to attend all classes and arrive on time
- If you must miss a class due to illness or any other reason, please let me know in advance via email
- Computers are welcome in class but not required
- If you need help, the tutors and I are available
- There will be nine assignments over the course of the semester
- Details of each assignment will be posted on the class website
- All assignments are to be submitted via NYU Classes
- Do your best to turn work in on time. 10% will be deducted for each week after the deadline
- No assignments will be accepted after three weeks or after the final exam
- Assignments: 50%
- Midterm exam: 20%
- Final exam: 30%
- Get access to the required book
- Read over the class website