- This will just set up your web page for the first time. Soon you will update this page, but for the time being we just want to establish your page and verify that your page is out there!
login: your NYUHome Netid
Password: your NYUHome password
Web Folder/directory: public_html (This is the folder on i5 accounts that will serve files to the web. All html and image files should be uploaded into this folder to be viewd on the web)
Web pages address/URL: http//i5.nyu.edu/~netid
If you forgot your password, you can reset it by visiting this webpage: http://start.nyu.edu/
Note: ITS requires a secure login to i5. This can be done using "Putty" on the PC and Terminal on the Mac using "ssh". Terminal is included in OS X on the Mac; but Putty is available via download from ITS at http://www.nyu.edu/its/software/ and is also on the NYU-Net CD which is available from ITS for students at no charge.
Please note: follow these instructions very carefully! They are very straightforward, but if you don't type the commands exactly as given, you may render your account unusable.
These instructions are for the Mac:
1. Double-click on Terminal
2. At the command line, type in ssh email@example.com so you will be logged in under your netid.
On the PC, open "Putty":
- type in the name of the host which is "i5.nyu.edu" in this case
- select "SSH"
- Click "Open".
If this is the first time you are logging in, your password is the same as your NYUHome account password. If you forgot your password, you can reset it by visiting this webpage:
If you continue to have problems login into your i5.nyu.edu account, please inform your instructor asap.
$ mkdir public_html
$ chmod 755 public_html
$ cd public_html
$ cp /usr/local/etc/index.html .
$ chmod 644 index.html
$ cd ..
$ chmod 711 NetID (where NetID is YOUR NetID)
(Note: the fourth line has a space and a period after the text; these must be included.)
- Use an FTP program (Fugu for the MAC or WinSCP 3.5 application) to download or transfer your "index.html" webpage file from your i5 remote server to your local computer so you can update this file.
If you are using Fugu, here is the opening screen; fill it in as follows but with your own netid and click "Connect":
- Then use TextEdit for the MAC or Notepad for the PC to make the following changes:
- Change the "john Doe" name to your name.
- Change the John Doe email to your NYUHome email address
- Save the file again as "index.html" and then test it in browser locally to make sure it looks ok.
- Use FUGU or WS_FTP to upload or transfer the "index.html" file from your computer to your i5.nyu.edu and make sure you are uploading to "public_html" folder on your server
- Check again to see if your page is ok on the server using Internet Explorer, Netscape, or the browser of your choice to look at:
Here is a note about using TextEdit on Mac OS X:
- Using TextEdit on the Mac: When you open index.html, it might open up as a web page. If so, go to the TextEdit menu, select Preferences and set them up as follows: