I am a final year Ph.D. student in the Computer Science Department at New York University. My research interest is centered around natural language processing.
My advisor is Ralph Grishman. I have been immensely fortunate to work and co-author with Adam Meyers at NYU, Bill Dolan at Microsoft Research, Le Zhao at CMU, Joel Tetreault and Martin Chodorow during internship at Educational Testing Service, Alan Ritter and Raphael Hoffmann during visit at University of Washington. I received my bachelor and master degrees in Computer Science from Tsinghua University in Beijing, China.
When I have spare time, I enjoy arts, traveling, snowboarding, rock climbing, sailing and windsurfing.
Technnologies that help computers and human beings to read and write are very fascinating to me. My current projects are about capturing language variations in the noisy text in Social Media, and paraphrasing between different language styles (formal vs. informal; Modern vs. Shakespearean). I am also interested in information extraction and related techniques, e.g. summarization and information retrieval, that distill important information from large-scale dataset.
ACL (2013), AAAI (2012)
Mid-Atlantic Student Colloquium on Speech, Language and Learning (2011)
CIKM (2013), *SEM (2013), CoNLL(2013), EMNLP (2012)
- "Filling Knowledge Base Gaps for Distant Supervision of Relation Extraction" [email me for data]
Wei Xu, Raphael Hoffmann, Le Zhao, Ralph Grishman
Proceedings of ACL 2013 (short paper)
- "Gathering and Generating Paraphrases from Twitter with Application to Normalization" [data]
Wei Xu, Alan Ritter, Ralph Grishman
Proceedings of ACL 2013 Workshop on Building and Using Comparable Corpora
- "A Preliminary Study of Tweet Summarization using Information Extraction"
Wei Xu, Ralph Grishman, Adam Meyers, Alan Ritter
Proceedings of NAACL 2013 Workshop on Language Analysis in Social Media
- "Paraphrasing for Style" [data & code]
Wei Xu, Alan Ritter, Bill Dolan, Ralph Grishman, Colin Cherry
Proceedings of COLING 2012
- "Exploiting Syntactic and Distributional Information for Spelling Correction with Web-Scale N-gram Models"
Wei Xu, Joel Tetreault, Martin Chodorow, Ralph Grishman, Le Zhao
Proceedings of EMNLP 2011
- "Passage Retrieval for Information Extraction using Distant Supervision"
Wei Xu, Ralph Grishman, Le Zhao
Proceedings of IJCNLP 2011
- "New York University 2011 System for KBP Slot Filing"
Ang Sun, Ralph Grishman, Wei Xu, Bonan Min
Proceedings of TAC 2011
- "Who, What, When, Where, Why? Comparing Multiple Approaches to the Cross-Lingual 5W Task"
Kristen Parton, Kathleen R. McKeown, Bob Coyne, Mona T. Diab, Ralph Grishman, Dilek Hakkani-Tür, Mary Harper, Heng Ji, Wei Yun Ma, Adam Meyers, Sara Stolbach, Ang Sun, Gokhan Tur, Wei Xu, Sibel Yaman
Proceedings of ACL-IJCNLP 2009
- "A Parse-and-Trim Approach with Information Significance for Chinese Sentence Compression"
Wei Xu, Ralph Grishman
Proceedings of ACL-IJNLP Workshop on Language Generation and Summarisation 2009
- "Transducing Logical Relations from Automatic and Manual Annotation"
Adam Meyers, Michiko Kosaka, Heng Ji, Nianwen Xue, Mary Harper, Ang Sun, Wei Xu, Shasha Liao
Proceedings of ACL-IJNLP Workshop on Linguistic Annotation 2009
- "Automatic Recognition of Logical Relations for English, Chinese and Japanese in the GLARF Framework"
Adam Meyers, Michiko Kosaka, Nianwen Xue, Heng Ji, Ang Sun, Shasha Liao, Wei Xu
Proceedings of NAACL-HLT Workshop on Semantic Evaluations 2009
- "Using Non-Local Features to Improve Named Entity Recognition Recall"
Xinnian Mao, Wei Xu, Yuan Dong, Haila Wang
Proceedings of PACLIC 2007
- "Domain Extension of Chinese Named Entity Recognition"
Wei Xu, Bin Fu, Liu Liu, Chunfa Yuan, Wenjie Li
Frontiers of Content Computing 2007
- "Extractive Summarization using Inter- and Intra- Event Relevance"
Wenjie Li, Wei Xu, Mingli Wu, Chunfa Yuan, Qin Lu
Proceedings of COLING-ACL 2006
- "Deriving Event Relevance from the Ontology Constructed with Formal Concept Analysis"
Wei Xu, Wenjie Li, Mingli Wu, Wei Li, Chunfa Yuan
Proceedings of CICLing 2006
- "Building Document Graphs for Multiple News Articles Summarization: An Event-Based Approach"
Wei Xu, Wenjie Li, Mingli Wu, Wei Li, Chunfa Yuan, Kam-Fai Wong
Proceedings of ICCPOL 2006
- "The Hong Kong Polytechnic University at ACE2005"
Wenjie Li, Wei Li, Mingli Wu, Wei Xu
Proceedings of ACE Evaluation Workshop 2005