I am a Moore-Sloan Post-Doc Researcher at the Center for Science, where I am working with Jennifer Jacquet. I am also a visiting scholar at the Environmental Studies and affiliated to the Big Data Group and the Center for Technology and Economic
I completed my PhD from the Department of Computer Science of New York University in the Fall of 2015. My PhD supervisor was Lakshminarayanan Subramanian.
[ Research Interest |
Web search, Data Mining, Computing for Development, Computers in Education, Computational Sustainability
PhD (2015): Department of Computer Science, New York University, USA
Thesis Title: Big Data Analytics for Development
Advisor: Prof. Lakshminarayanan Subramanian
- Winner of Janet Fabri Prize for Outstanding Thesis
Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of
Technology, Kharagpur, INDIA.
Thesis Title: Shikshak: A Framework for an Intelligent Tutoring System
Advisor: Prof. Anupam Basu and Prof. Sudeshna Sarkar
Projects (Past and Present)
- Identifying Enforcement Gaps in Internet Wildlife Trade
- Winner of USAID Wildlife Crime Tech Challenge (2016)
- New and Text Analytics
- Probabilistic Model for Extracting Events from News Articles
- Building Event Network for Understanding Event-event relationship
- Spatio-Temporal Article Graph for Visualizing News
- Location-Specific Summarization of Climatic and Agricultural Trends: Mining information from the web to
collect data about agriculture, climate change, identify and predict the presence of different problems in these
areas in a particular location.
- Structured summarization of unstructured text: In some cases, users search a website where the website text is
in an unstructured form. However, the user query is in a structured format. Changing the backend text into a
structured form can greatly improve the search quality, search speed and the presentation of the results. This
project is aimed to extract key features from such texts and prepare a structured summary of the entire content,
taking Craigslist ads as a case.
- Summarization Search: A Faster Search Interface for Mobile Devices
- Computation for Food, Water and Agriculture
- Prediction of Socio-Economic Indicators from News Events
- Characterization and Prediction of Drought and Water Shortage Issues from Online News: From a corpus of news articles, identification of
occurrences and magnitude of drought in different locations and based on past drought cases, characterizing the
causes and effects of drought in a particular location. Using these past trends, a model is being trained to predict
drought in a particular location given recent news articles from that location. Methodology is based on spatial-
temporal relationship analysis, topic modeling and event extraction from the news documents.
- Estimating Changing Land Patterns from Historical Satellite Images
Sunandan Chakraborty, Ashwin Venkataraman, Srikanth Jagabathula, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian, (2016).
"Predicting Socio-Economic Indicators using News Events",
KDD 2016, San Francisco, USA (to appear)
Sunandan Chakraborty, Filip Radlinski, Milad Shokouhi, and Paul Baecke, (2014).
"On Correlation of Absence Time and Search Effectiveness",
SIGIR 2014, Gold Coast, Australia
Sunandan Chakraborty, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian, and Yaw Nyarko, (2014)
"Extraction Of (Key,Value) Pairs From Unstructured Ads",
AAAI Fall Symposium, 2014, Washingtin, DC, USA
- Sunandan Chakraborty, Tiffany Tong, Jay Chen, Afshan Aman, Talal Mufti, Yaw Nyarko
and Lakshminarayanan Subramanian, (2013).
"Experiences in Designing a Mobile GIS Mapping Tool for Rural Farmers in Ghana", ACM DEV, 2013, Cape Town, South Africa [PDF]
- Rakesh Agrawal, Sunandan Chakraborty, Sreenivas Gollapudi, Anitha Kannan, and Krishnaram Kenthapadi, (2012).
"Empowering Authors to Diagnose Comprehension Burden in Textbooks", KDD, 2012. Beijing, China [PDF]
- Sunandan Chakraborty, Scot Dalton, Yaw Nyarko and Lakshminarayanan Subramanian, (2012). "Computing the Rate of
Disappearance of Cropland Using Satellite Images", International Conference of Computational Sustainability
(CompSust, 2012). Copenhagen, Denmark [PDF]
- Rakesh Agrawal, Sunandan Chakraborty, Sreenivas Gollapudi, Anitha Kannan, and Krishnaram Kenthapadi, (2012). "Quality
of Textbooks: An Empirical Study", ACM DEV 2012, Atlanta, USA [PDF]
- Sunandan Chakraborty, Jay Chen, Mangala Kanthamani, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian, (2011). "On the Feasibility and Utility of Web based Educational Lesson Plans", ACM DEV 2012, Atlanta, USA [PDF]
- Sunandan Chakraborty, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian, (2011). "Location Specific Summarization of Climatic
and Agricultural Trends", WWW 2011, Hyderabad, India [PDF]
- Aishwarya Lakshmi Ratan, Sunandan Chakraborty, Pushkar V. Chitnis, Kentaro Toyama, Keng Siang Ooi,
Matthew Phiong, Mike Koenig, (2010). "Managing Microfinance with Paper, Pen and Digital Slate". ICTD 2010, London, UK.
- Sunandan Chakraborty,Devshri Roy, Anupam Basu, (2008). "Semiautomatic Annotation of Test Materials in an
ITS Authoring System". International Workshop of Cognitive Aspects in Intelligent and Adaptive Web-based Educational Systems
(CIAWES, 2008) held in conjunction ICCE, 2008. Taipei, Taiwan. [PDF]
- Sunandan Chakraborty,Devshri Roy, Anupam Basu, (2008). "Shikshak: An Architecture for an Intelligent Tutoring
System". International Workshop of Cognitive Aspects in Intelligent and Adaptive Web-based Educational Systems
(CIAWES, 2008) held in conjunction ICCE, 2008. Taipei, Taiwan. [PDF]
- Sunandan Chakraborty, Tamali Bhattacharya, Plaban Bhowmick, Anupam Basu and Sudeshna Sarkar, (2007).
"Shikshak: An Intelligent Tutoring System Authoring Tool for Rural Education". ICTD 2007, Bangalore, India. [PDF]
- Plaban Bhowmick, Samiran Sarkar, Sudeshna Sarkar, Anupam Basu and Sunandan Chakraborty, (2007).
"Samvidha: A ICT System for Personalized Offline Internet Access for Rural Schools". ICTD2007, Bangalore, India. [PDF]
Sunandan Chakraborty, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian, Yaw Nyarko.
"Satellite Image Analytics, Land Change and Food Security",
Sunandan Chakraborty, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian .
"STAG: Spatio-Temporal Article Graph for Visualizing News",
Christopher Rohlfs, Sunandan Chakraborty, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian .
"The Effects of the Content of FOMC Communications on US Treasury Rates",
- Post-doc Researcher, Center for Data Science, New York University, New York, USA (Sep 2015 - present)
- Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science, New York University, New York, USA (Sep 2010 - Sep 2015)
- Research Intern, Machine Learning and Perception group, Microsoft Research Cambridge, UK (Fall, 2013)
- Research Intern, Search Labs, Microsoft Research Lab Silicon Valley, USA (Summer, 2011)
- Intern, Team-SECRET, INRIA Paris-Rocquencourt, France (Oct, 2009 - June, 2010)
- Research Intern, Microsoft Research Lab India, India (November, 2008 - September, 2009)
- Senior Project Asst., Communication Empowerment Lab, IIT Kharagpur, India (July, 2004 - October, 2008)