Grants for Graduate Students to go to STOC 2012
SIGACT is giving out travel awards for student going to STOC 2012. These travel awards are for needy students to help cover their expenses. Preference will be given to students who do not have other sources of funding.
To apply email the information listed below to William Gasarch by April 4, 2012. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the following subject line: “STOC12 travel award”. The email has to be a pdf file or plaintext.
Include the following in your email in this order:
- Title of paper, if you are an author.
- Will you be presenting the paper?
- University name and country.
- A detailed expense list, in US dollars. If Registration and Hotel are not posted yet you can estimate or say + hotel and/or + registration. Restrictions: (1) Hotel is limited to $120 per night. Students are encouraged to share rooms. (2) We do not pay for food or visas. (3) If you are traveling from an American School then travel is limited to US$700. (4) If you are traveling from abroad then travel is limited to US$1500.
- Other travel funds that are available to you.
- A statement from your advisor on availability of travel funds (note: vague statements such as “funds are tight” are not informative). Restriction: An Advisor cannot put two students up for the travel award.
- SIGACT encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups for these awards. (Optional) Please indicate if you are part of such a group.
- A short statement describing your academic standing and interests, your expected graduation date and degree, advisor’s name, and, if available, a URL for a working Web page. Also indicate whether and when you have attended previous major theory conferences (e.g. STOC and FOCS).
This information will be used to prioritize the awards. The awards will be announced shortly after the deadline. Late applications will not be accepted.
You should receive an email acknowledging your application within 3 week days. If not, please resubmit or contact William Gasarch by some other means.
Student travel to STOC 2012 is supported by ACM SIGACT.