Spring 2011 MACS Officer Elections

Posted: December 22nd, 2010 | Author: ericawolfe | Filed under: Uncategorized | 7 Comments »

Please read the following directions and information very carefully.

Contents:
I. Statement of Intent to Run for Election
II. Elections and Speeches
III. Officer Responsibilities

Below this post, where it says “Leave a reply,” please write your statement of intent.
1) Put your name (first name and last initial is okay.)
2) Put a valid NYU email (don’t worry it won’t be visible.)
3) Write the position for which you are running: Secretary, Treasurer or Vice President. You may choose only one. Only current MACS officers are eligible to run for President.
4) Write a statement of intent of 300 words or fewer. (a couple of paragraphs is fine)
5) All statements of intent will be made visible on Wednesday, January 26.
6) The deadline to run is Thursday, January 27 11:59pm.

The statement of intent should address at least the following: why you want to be a MACS officers and why you are a good candidate; how you will benefit the students and the program; what specifically you will do to improve MACS; and anything else that demonstrates your qualities and commitment to the club.

The current MACS officer’s statements of intent are included below as examples of how a statement of intent could be written.

II. Elections and Speeches

General Meeting and Officer Elections
Friday, January 28
5:00pm
WWH 109

If you are running, you must come to the general meeting and should give a speech of three minutes or fewer. If you are unable to attend, please contact MACS, macs [at] cs.nyu.edu, by Thursday, January 27 11:59pm. Not attending the election without informing MACS automatically forfeits your nomination.

See here for a list of officer responsibilities.

7 Comments on “Spring 2011 MACS Officer Elections”

1. 1 Erica Wolfe said at 1:09 pm on December 22nd, 2010:

I am running for president of MACS. Currently, I am the MACS VP and have thoroughly enjoyed this role. MACS has given me great opportunities to work with students and faculty members within Courant and throughout the NYC tech community. I have also organized engaging and educational events, like last semester’s Open Source Program. I look forward to bringing you more fun events in the future, such as Happy Hour events and discussions of the Agile software development process. In addition to my current tenure with MACS, the GSAS Graduate Student Goverment and WinC, my professional background includes event planning, budgeting, fundraising and extensive experience working as part of a team. I look forward to working with all of you to build a stronger CS/IS Masters community!

2. 2 rct257 said at 9:40 am on December 24th, 2010:

Hi!

My name is Randolph and I am expressing my intent to run for Vice President. As the current MACS secretary, I was fortunate to be involved in organizing a couple of events in the past semester and I would like to continue on doing so. I am really looking forward to the events we (the current board) had planned for this semester.

Thanks!

3. 3 Sailee L said at 5:24 pm on January 19th, 2011:

Hello,

I’m Sailee and I’d like to run for Secretary. As a new student at NYU, I believe MACS will give me the much sought out opportunity to meet and interact with various students, and faculty. I’m sure I’ll be enriched intellectually as well as personally by this association.

I have arranged and participated in many events (technical/cultural/etc) at my under-graduate institute, as well as my past employer. I enjoy working in teams that arrange engaging events. Thus, I’m sure I can contribute to the events planned in future.

Thanks to Erica & Randolph for introducing me to MACS. Looking forward to work with you guys!

4. 4 Shefali B said at 11:01 am on January 21st, 2011:

Hi…My name is Shefali and I intend on applying for the position of Treasurer for MACS. Although this will be the first time I’ll be working with MACS but I’ve been involved in a lot of organizing committees even at my undergraduate level. I had served as a core committee member for various technical and non – technical events under ISTE and was later elected as the Publicity Director for the same for two terms..Besides I’ve been working with huge multinational giant for three years as a developer and a lead; so I believe I’ve the necessary technical, organizational and leadership skills needed. Given a chance, I am really looking forward to working for MACS.

5. 5 Apoorva Vadi said at 3:06 pm on January 21st, 2011:

Hey everyone,

I am Apoorva and I am running for the Treasurer position. I have been actively involved in the NYU community. I serve as the Senator for the Graduate Student Government and also as the Vice-President of the Masters College Program Board. I believe I have the right skills and experience to allocate and keep track of funds. I would love to work with my fellow CS students in creating an exciting fun filled semester.

Thank you.
    Apoorva Vadi

6. 6 Shiyi Guo said at 11:09 pm on January 24th, 2011:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Shiyi, you can also call me Daisy. I’m running for Treasure of MACS.

MACS is the first community I’ve ever known in NYU and the first one that I want to devote my time in running the officers. Because I was impressed by the events held by MACS in the last semester and benefited much from it. I enjoyed meeting excellent people here as well as the good food. :) As I have successful experience in seek fundings and sponsorships and I’m also good at budgeting and planning, I think I’ll play a good role as a Treasure in the team. I would like to join the great team and devote my effort in organizing many more interesting events in the future.
    Thanks!

7. 7 Masters Association for Computer Science » Blog Archive » Fall 2011 MACS Secretary Election said at 8:19 am on September 1st, 2011:

[...] look at last semester’s election for examples of how a statement of intent could be [...]