Fall 2010 MACS Officer Elections

Posted: April 2nd, 2010 | Author: paulgazz | Filed under: Information | 6 Comments »

Please read the following directions and information very carefully.

Contents:
I. Statement of Intent to Run for Election
II. Elections and Speeches
III. Officer Responsibilities

I. Statement of Intent to Run for Election

Below this post, where it says “Leave a reply,” please write your statement of intent.
1) Put your name (first name and last initial is okay.)
2) Put a valid NYU email (don’t worry it won’t be visible.)
3) Write the position for which you are running: Secretary, Treasurer, Vice President, or President.  You may only choose one.
4) Write a statement of intent of 300 words or fewer. (a couple of paragraphs is fine)
5) The deadline to run is Thursday, April 15th 11:59pm.

Please see the John Doe example comment below.

The statement of intent should address at least the following: why you want to be a MACS officers and why you are a good candidate; how you will benefit the students and the program; what specifically you will do to improve MACS; and anything else that demonstrates your qualities and commitment to the club.

II. Elections and Speeches

Officer Elections
Friday, April 16th
6:00pm
WWH 109

If you are running, you must come to Officer Elections and should give a speech of three minutes or fewer.  If you are unable for a good reason, please contact MACS, macs [at] cs.nyu.edu, by Thursday April 15th 11:59pm.  Not attending the election without informing MACS automatically forfeits your nomination.

See here for a list of officer responsibilities

6 Comments on “Fall 2010 MACS Officer Elections”

1. 1 John Doe (Example) said at 2:06 pm on April 2nd, 2010:

Position: Secretary

This is my statement of intent to run for officer. It should be 400 words or fewer. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Duis ultrices nunc ut urna tempor porttitor. Quisque pellentesque, purus nec scelerisque hendrerit, magna ipsum consequat nisl, at imperdiet sapien purus a ante. Mauris nec pellentesque dolor. Etiam consequat facilisis est, fermentum dignissim nisi scelerisque id. Phasellus tempor felis et nisi imperdiet vestibulum.

(This is only an example application)

2. 2 David Cao said at 8:13 am on April 12th, 2010:

This is my statement of intent to run for secretary in MACS. The first time I heard”MACs”, I thought is it a apple fans organization? But when you make “s” bigger, this word becomes meaningful. “MACS” to me is a organization new and awesome. In my first semester in courant, I attended almost every event hold by MACS, and I really appreciate that MACS give us a platform to communicate with professor and talented student, also including delicious pizza. I think it is time for us to reward this student organization.

I have been a vice president in English Club in my undergraduate school; mainly take charge of fundraising and event coordinate. I am outgoing and very willing to help others. I think that my former experience, plus my great passion for this organization, will make me a good candidate for this position. Also I am good learner. I think if I am luckily enough to be elected, to me it’s a learning process. What’s more I will have chance to get involve in MACS activities organizing. I am willing to see that MACS be a home for CS/IS students, be a forum for courant student, and what’s our masters’ concerned is our concern.

3. 3 Randolph Tan said at 12:41 pm on April 12th, 2010:

Position: Secretary

Hi guys,

I want to let you know that I am planning to run for officer in MACS. Just to give you a little background about myself, I started in NYU under the C-PAC program last semester (my undergrad degree is Electronics and Communications Engineering – similar to EE in US) and just began my actual MS CS program this Spring. I have been to a lot of the previous MACS activities and wanted to help out. See you guys on Friday!

4. 4 ericawolfe said at 9:33 pm on April 13th, 2010:

I am running for vice-president of MACS. Currently, I am the MACS Treasurer and have thoroughly enjoyed this role. MACS has given me great opportunities to work with students and faculty members within Courant and throughout NYU. I have also organized engaging and educational events, like the “Business Plan 101″ last month, and I look forward to bringing you more fun events in the future, such as next week’s “Plan to Profit.” In addition to my current tenure with MACS, my professional background includes event planning, budgeting, fundraising and extensive experience working as part of a team. I look forward to working with all of you to build a stronger CS Masters community!

5. 5 rathboma said at 6:36 am on April 15th, 2010:

Matthew Rathbone:
    Position: President

I have been an officer of MACS for two semesters and think my experiences make me ideal for the role of president.

I have organized a wide range of events, from hack-days, to general meetings, and business events. I’m friendly with administration staff, officers from other student organizations, and many technology leaders from the work world. I led the preparation of GSC funding applications, and worked with other officers to update our organization mission.

Prior to MACS, I served on charity committees, and ran social clubs in a work environment (such as a developer screen-cast club). Combined with my undergraduate education in Law these experiences make me organized, rational, and able to understand the student body’s needs.

Since joining the club as officer, I have seen participation grow steadily over the last two semesters, and it is my goal to see that it continues to do so. In co-ordination with other officers elected this friday, I am confident that I can ensure a wide range of intellectually stimulating and socially useful events are hosted by MACS in the 2010/2011 school year.

6. 6 Sean H said at 4:05 pm on April 16th, 2010:

Name: Sean Helvey
    Position: Treasurer

I would like to run for the Treasurer position within MACS. I was unaware of the Thursday deadline, but I will still be there today for speeches and elections, as there are no other candidates for Treasurer. My undergraduate degree was in Business / Finance and I had been working on Wall Street for 2-3 years before returning to grad school. I am currently enrolled in CPAC and have been admitted to the MSCS program as of Spring 2010. I would love to be a part of it!

Thank you!